Achieving gender justice is one of the critical objectives of the SETAPAK program yet so far unequal gender representation and participation in land and forest issues has proven to be a difficult challenge to address. Overlooking the gendered dimensions of forest issues, often leads to decisions that disproportionately impact women, and further marginalize their interests and concerns. Good forest and land governance is gender sensitive, and gender justice needs to be prioritized in all governance processes, institutions and mechanisms in order to promote and safeguard women’s engagement and rights. Integrating gender into forest and land governance by taking into consideration the differing needs of women and men at different socio-economic levels, is vital for sustainable and inclusive environmental planning and programming.
How SETAPAK helps?
- Promoting the importance of gender sensitivity and equality in government and civil society processes and institutions.
- Integrating gender in forest and land governance and assisting programs to consider the differing needs of women and men in various level of social and economic backgrounds.
- Working with the government and society to support initiatives that expand women’s participation in policy-making processes and which improve their representation and participation in forest and land issues.
- Increasing awareness of gender issues to press for the improvement of women’s rights.
- Supporting women activists at the grassroots level through training and initiatives in forest protection and environmental advocacy.
- Conducting workshops to train women facilitators and form circumference groups that develop the capacity of village-level women in accessing and exchanging information related to women’s rights and sustainable forest and land governance.
- Including gender mainstreaming in SETAPAK’s partners’ advocacy agendas and programs through a series of capacity building programs, mentoring and sharing forums.
To download our pager on Gender Justice in Forest and Land Governance, please click the link below: